“There is no such thing as a ‘typical day’ in a PBI field project”
– PBI Volunteer
For 40 years, we have worked at local, regional and international levels to protect human rights defenders and communities whose lives and work are threatened by violence.
We currently provide protection and support to brave Human Rights defenders who are risking their lives in Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico and Nicaragua/Costa Rica.
Help us protect human rights defenders.
Tweets by @PBI_ISECTweets by PBI_ISEC
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have not been involved with PBI before, unfortunately it is unlikely we would have the capacity to support you in the creation of a new country group. Please try to volunteer with PBI first in order to learn about the organisation.
If you are a former PBI volunteer, please write to us at email@example.com for more information and help to set up a country/associate group.
Please note that we are not a funding organization and are generally not able to provide grants or financial support to other organizations. While we empathise with every individual and organisation that works for the respect of human rights, all the funds that we raise are to support our own projects and infrastructure.
For human rights defenders seeking funding or other emergency support, we suggest you contact protectdefenders.eu. Through ProtectDefenders, PBI is able to provide a limited amount of support directly to HRDs in countries where we work. You can find more information on our website about this program.
All international jobs are advertised on our website: https://www.peacebrigades.org/en/jobs-with-pbi and through our social media accounts.
Although we work with many documents in English and Spanish and translation is often needed, at this time we do not have any particular request for our pool of Volunteer translators. We therefore invite you to stay in touch and renew your proposal in future, whether you should be available and keen on helping PBI with translations.
The International Office and country groups sometimes have opportunities for volunteering in their offices or supporting their work in other ways. Please contact your local country group directly to find out about available volunteer opportunities.
Opportunities to volunteer with the international office are always published on our website https://www.peacebrigades.org/en/jobs-with-pbi and social media accounts. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider unsolicited volunteer applications.
Check this list to see if you live in a country which has a Country Group.
- If there is a country group where you live, please contact them to find out how you can get involved. Many groups organise introductory trainings on the philosophy, mandate and principles and the work of PBI which will provide an opportunity to gain a basic understanding of PBI’s work in order to decide whether you would like to move on to joining a team or getting involved in PBI in another way.
- If you live in a place where there is no PBI country group, or if you are interested in volunteering in a specific country, you can contact the office of the project you would like to join directly.
- If you are considering joining a project, please consult with the Project Office about visa restrictions and the 'Own Country Rule', which states that individuals cannot volunteer in a PBI project in their own country for reasons of non-partisanship and security.
To find out more about volunteering with PBI, please see http://www.peacebrigades.org/get-involved/volunteer-field/ for comprehensive information.
There are many ways you can support PBI.
- If you would like to make a financial contribution to PBI, you can do so by visiting https://www.peacebrigades.org/donate/.
- To learn more about volunteering in one of PBI’s projects, please visit http://www.peacebrigades.org/get-involved/volunteer-field/.
- PBI maintains country groups throughout Europe and North America which raise awareness and carry out advocacy for the protection of human rights defenders, recruit volunteers and fundraise for our work. Please contact your local country group if you would like to get involved in PBI’s work in your community.
If you are a former PBI volunteer, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and help to set up a country/associate group