"For the 15 years that we have had PBI accompaniment, we have been able to …become more respected in judicial and other spheres of our activity, a very important prevention mechanism. I believe that PBI's presence and accompaniment in Colombia has saved many lives and prevented many attacks against human rights defenders, especially human rights lawyers" - Jose Alvear Restrepo Lawyers' Collectve (CCAJAR), Colombia
Since 1981, Peace Brigades International has worked in thirteen countries on five continents. On request, our projects and country group have provided protection, recognition and support to human rights defenders working in areas or repression and conflict.
The work of Projects integrated with the work of Country Groups focuses on:
- physical presence of our volunteers alongside human rights defenders
- dialogue with government authorities and armed forces
- advocacy and outreach work with the international community
- building and activating emergency support networks to prevent or respond to human rights abuses
- raising the profile nationally and internationally of the organisations we accompany
Please help us to continue this vital work by making a donation today.
PBI currently maintains permanent presence in: