Since April 2018, thousands of people and numerous organisations and communities have had to leave Nicaragua to protect their personal safety, in many cases without time to say goodbye.
Now in a foreign land, with only the memory of their country, they seek to continue working in the defence of human rights.
The voices of these Nicaraguan exiles are found in different parts of the world, demanding justice, truth, reparation and guarantees of non-repetition, in a tireless quest to return to their country, in order to defend and exercise their rights.
PBI Nicaragua has been accompanying exiled individuals in Costa Rica who have maintained their rôle in the defence of human rights in Nicaragua
We are certain that organised communities can find adequate strategies to continue defending human rights wherever they are and that through their resistance they can generate spaces to come together in recognition of global human dignity. Have a look at our magazine here.
- “PBI accompanies human rights defenders in exile” | PBI Nicaragua en Costa Rica
- “Nicaraguan migration to Costa Rica” | Denis Cáceres.
- “#SOSIndioMaiz: Environmental awareness awakens in Nicaragua” | Amaru Ruíz, Fundación del Río.
- “Nicaragua: living with injustice is hard to swallow” | Juan Carlos Arce Campos, Colectivo de Derechos Humanos Nicaragua Nunca Más
- “The journalism crisis in Nicaragua” | Alfonso Malespín Aguilera
- “The Resistance of LGBTIQ+ Nicaraguans” | Mesa de Artículación LGBTIQ+ en el Exilio
- “The peasant movement in exile” | PBI Nicaragua en Costa Rica
- “The Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua: a territory of resistance” | Bloque Costa Caribe Nicaragüense en el Exilio
- “Youth in Nicaragua’s 2018 crisis” | Jhoswell Antonio Martinez
- “Standing firm in dignity and resilience” | Red de Mujeres Pinoleras
- “Nicaragua: to be continued...” | PBI Nicaragua en Costa Rica, María Fernanda Lessmes
- “Resistance in the face of adversity” | Jacob Ellis Williams
This is a tribute to the Nicaraguan organisations and collectives that, from exile, work continuously in the defence of human rights, bringing together the voices and testimonies of those who promote this work through non-violent action and in a culture of peace.
PBI Nicaragua in Costa Rica