This December, and continuously, PBI puts human rights defenders at the centre, in the position they deserve given the fundamental role they play in the protection of human rights and the construction of fair and peaceful societies.
Human rights defenders continue to provide voices for the voiceless, pushing for social justice. They often risk their lives to stand up for what they believe in, holding states to account and pushing for human rights to be respected, protected and fulfilled.
PBI believes that a world without human rights defenders is a world without human rights. We will continue to ensure that, despite the huge challenges that defenders face in the current political and economic contexts the world finds itself in, they receive the recognition and support they deserve so they are able to continue their fundamental work in secure conditions.
PBI recognises human rights defenders and the value of the work they do. PBI provides accompaniment support and is present in situations where human rights defenders are threatened and attacked. International solidarity can often provide these human rights defenders with the life-saving protection they need to continue their work.
Over the past few weeks we have published the stories of several human rights defenders that we accompany in different parts of the world, to share their stories and let others know that they are not alone. Putting #HRDsAtTheCentre we hope to continue to support their important work.
– Lilian Borjas from Honduras, dedicates her life to fighting for her land.
– Javier Avila, human rights defender from Mexico works to ensure indigenous people are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve in their struggles to defend their land.
- Rahma Wako is a community organizer and passionate advocate for women’s rights and children’s rights in Kenya.
– Bernardo Caal Xol, human rights defender from Guatemala who’s vision for the future drives him to continue to fight for a better world.
– Yaneth Bautista from Colombia, on PBI volunteers who feel immense pride being able to accompany these brave people.
You can also contribute to PBI by becoming a volunteer to our projects or by making a donation to support human rights defenders carry out their work. Human rights defenders risk their lives each day to protect and promote human rights in their areas of advocacy.